The development of Chorleywood village from 1868 to 1994.
The map shows the changes and development of Chorleywood village in Great Britain over a period of 126 years from 1868 to 1994.
Chronologically, during the first 15 years from 1868 to 1883, Chorleywood was merely a very small village with two crossing main roads for its all transportation. From 1883 to 1922, with the expansion to the south, a new living area took shape and almost tripled the original scale. Besides, in 1909, a railway line, parallel with the east-bound main road, was built, linking the east and west, as well as forming Chorleywood Station.
During the next period between 1922 and 1970, Chorleywood extended both eastward and westward and almost doubled the previous size. The year 1970 saw another big change of Chorleywood -- the establishment of a south-bound motorway as the axis, which connected east-west main road with the railway.
By 1994, there emerged 5 new resident places and some entertainment including Chorleywood Park and Golf course, all of which scattered along the two sides of the newly-bulit traffic system.
1. Some people think that all young people should be required to have full-time education until they are at least 18 years old. To what extent do you agree or disagree？
2. It is important for all towns and cities to have large public outdoor places like squares and parks. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. In recent years, young people in many countries choose to live by themselves. What are the reasons and is it positive or negative for the development of the society？
4. Some people think most crimes are the result of circumstances like poverty and other social problems. Others believe that they are caused by people who are bad in nature. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. Research shows that overeating is as harmful as smoking. Therefore, advertising for certain food products should be banned, in the same way as cigarette advertising is banned in many countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Nowadays, there are many television advertisements aimed at children. What are the effects of these advertisements on children? Should TV advertisements be controlled?
2. In many countries today, both men and women need to work full time. Therefore, some people think men and women should share household tasks equally (e g. cleaning and looking after children). To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. Employers should give its staff at least four weeks of holidays a year to make employees do better in their jobs. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people think adults should learn practical skills by themselves, while others think they should learn from teachers in the classroom. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. With the increasing demand for energy sources of oil and gas, people should look for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched natural places. Do the advantages outweigh disadvantages of damaging such areas？
6. Some countries achieve international success by building specialized facilities to train top athletes instead of providing sports facilities that everyone can use. Do you think it is a positive or negative development？
7. Some people think that environmental problems are too big for individuals to solve. Others, however, believe that these problems cannot be solved if individuals do not take actions. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
8. In many parts of the world children and teenagers are committing more crimes. Why do you think it is the case? How should children or teenagers be punished?
9. Some people think that the government should ban dangerous sports, but others think that people should have the freedom to choose sports activities. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Children’s education is expensive. In some countries, the government pays some or all of the costs. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
11. Some people think that the governments of developing countries should introduce new technology to improve the quality of life, while some people believe that the best way is to develop education. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
12. Some people believe that if the police force carries guns, it would encourage a higher level of violence in the society. To what extent do you agree or disagree？
13. The international community must act immediately to ensure that all countries reduce their consumption of fossil fuels, such as gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
14. Some people believe that the best way to build a happier society is to ensure that there are only small differences between the richest and the poorest members. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
15. Towns and cities are attractive places. Some people suggest that the government should spend money putting in more works of art like paintings and statues to make them better to live in. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
16. Some people think that success in life comes from hard work and determination, while others think that there are more important factors such as money and appearance. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
17. Some people think that language should be taught in small classes, while other people think the number of students in a language class does not matter. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
18. Some people think "vertical "city is the best, where people live and work in tall buildings. Others think "horizontal" city is better, where there are few tall buildings. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
19. Some people think that shops should not be allowed to sell any food or drink that has scientifically been proved to have bad effects on people's health. To what extent do you agree or disagree？
20. In some countries, governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move out of large cities and into regional areas. Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh its disadvantages?
更多雅思学习资料，关注我的新浪微博@雅思哥 和微信公众号 ielts365
Copyright2017, passthexam.com. All rights reserved. | 粤ICP备17119734号